Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Strange Audio Routing with FLX10
klavaxPRO InfinityMember since 2023
Hello guys,

Yesterday bought DDJ-FLX10 (FW is on 1.12), just to turn out that audio routing seems extremely weird/broken with master and headphone cue/master.

A little context i am upgrading from Numark Mixtrack Platinum FX which had perfect audio routing and behaviour see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e3LVfFR5fs
Master knob adjusts volume fully & correctly, headphone cue knobs also behave perfectly for any and all audio routing options, as expected!

DDJ-FLX10 on the otherhand seems like master knob does adjust the level (based on master VU meter in vDJ) but not show that audibly no matter what is enabled with any cue button.
Headphone knobs do absolutely nothing with pure software audio routing like this..
see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwM1AX29tRI
EDIT1: Master VU meter on the controller also shows nothing with this routing

Example vids have nothing different between them with the only exception being the controller itself.

Am a little at a loss of how to replicate the exact same audio routing... Mayhaps am doing something wrong or anyone has any ideas how to have exact same audio routing as the other controller? i do dj primarily in VR and route headphones to Headset headphones and master to a virtual audio endpoint for streaming, any ideas? Might this be a bug?

Posted yesterday @ 2:56 pm
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but did you enable the master cue button below the master output LEDs?

Posted yesterday @ 3:17 pm
I did try that, pressing master cue doesn't change anything at all, as well as volumes being completely unadjustable with software audio routing, isn't master cue used for the internal audio routing inside the unit itself to then output via headphone jack? im not using that tho

Posted yesterday @ 3:20 pm
You have to consider that different products work in different ways. A Pioneer product isn't necessarily going to behave in exactly the same way as a Numark product. Even products from the same manufacturer can have different setup/config.

Regarding the videos, how are you moving the knobs on the skin? From the controller or with a mouse? Also how is the audio routed to the video? Where are you taking the feed from?

From what I can see online, both units use a master/headphone audio config. Are you using the default native setups or have you messed around with them? Please post screengrabs of each.

Posted yesterday @ 3:25 pm
groovindj wrote :
You have to consider that different products work in different ways. A Pioneer product isn't necessarily going to behave in exactly the same way as a Numark product. Even products from the same manufacturer can have different setup/config.

Right, i get that different products may behave different, but not this different, atm master knob i feel is not even working right since volumes are not being changed whatsoever as with the other controller, software by itself also does behave as it should when adjusting master knob, kinda leaning towards a bug or something, kinda feels like it.

groovindj wrote :
Regarding the videos, how are you moving the knobs on the skin? From the controller or with a mouse? Also how is the audio routed to the video? Where are you taking the feed from?

In the videos i used controllers themselves to move knobs, setups are identical i'd say taken a few minutes apart with only difference being audio routing going to Voicemeeter virtual channels for further routing

groovindj wrote :
From what I can see online, both units use a master/headphone audio config. Are you using the default native setups or have you messed around with them? Please post screengrabs of each.

What screenshots ya wanna see? audio config screen or?

Posted yesterday @ 3:35 pm
klavax wrote :
volumes are not being changed

Volumes WHERE are not being changed?

If the volume knob on the controller sends MIDI then the master volume in the software will change. If the controller has a hardware volume knob, then the software volume will not change. The volume from the output on the back of the controller will change.

klavax wrote :
audio routing going to Voicemeeter

Going to Voicemeeter from where? If you're feeding Voicemeeter from VDJ directly then with a hardware volume control, the software volume won't change.

klavax wrote :
audio config screen or?

Yes, the audio config, as the the problem is with audio.

Posted yesterday @ 3:45 pm
groovindj wrote :
klavax wrote :
volumes are not being changed

Volumes WHERE are not being changed?

If the volume knob on the controller sends MIDI then the master volume in the software will change. If the controller has a hardware volume knob, then the software volume will not change. The volume from the output on the back of the controller will change.

Yes i would expect that since software sees it being adjusted and should work accordingly, atm it does not tho.
flx10 Master and headphones knobs are at a -inf, audio still is coming out of the computer, when it should be completely silent, see master knob in the vid for both examples, numark makes everything silent, flx10 does not

groovindj wrote :
klavax wrote :
audio routing going to Voicemeeter

Going to Voicemeeter from where? If you're feeding Voicemeeter from VDJ directly then with a hardware volume control, the software volume won't change.

directly from vDJ to voicemeeter for both controllers

groovindj wrote :
klavax wrote :
audio config screen or?

Yes, the audio config, as the the problem is with audio.

Audio routing for FLX10, the same is being used for the numark one from the vid

Only things connected to the controller are USB-C and power supply

Posted yesterday @ 4:02 pm
The image is too small, but I can just make out that you have master and headphones both set to channels 1 & 2. This is wrong. As I suggested earlier, you're not using the default native configuration.

Posted yesterday @ 4:05 pm
groovindj wrote :
The image is too small, but I can just make out that you have master and headphones both set to channels 1 & 2. This is wrong. As I suggested earlier, you're not using the default native configuration.

well i am using a software audio routing and that is for sure not native where speakers & headphones are connected to the unit itself, im trying to do software based routing but that kinda is not behaving with flx10, and it does work with numark one. (no midi info then the knobs on the vDJ would also not change as with the mic knobs, best example i'd say for no midi communication with the unit itself)
changing it to channel 3 & 4 makes it not work at all, since those specific endpoints are stereo and have little to do with the controller itself as far as i can see, native setup would be 3 & 4 which would be correct for that but for this setup 1&2 is def correct, did try various configs with VR headset too to no avail, at this point pretty sure it has to do something with how vDJ handles audio when it sees this controller...

Added a bigger image for audio config window

Posted yesterday @ 4:14 pm
I don't really understand what you're trying to do with the setup.

Your first post made no mention of Voicemeeter or (presumably) OBS, just that the audio wasn't working correctly. We can only respond to the information provided, so if you don't mention something, we go round in circles.

What exactly is the purpose of Voicemeeter here, and why are you sending the master and the headphone signal to that and not the FLX10 interface? Then both master and headphones go from Voicemeeter into OBS? Why?

If you're broadcasting, you can do that directly from VDJ.

Posted yesterday @ 4:34 pm
groovindj wrote :
I don't really understand what you're trying to do with the setup.

Your first post made no mention of Voicemeeter or (presumably) OBS, just that the audio wasn't working correctly. We can only respond to the information provided, so if you don't mention something, we go round in circles.

What exactly is the purpose of Voicemeeter here, and why are you sending the master and the headphone signal to that and not the FLX10 interface? Then both master and headphones go from Voicemeeter into OBS? Why?

If you're broadcasting, you can do that directly from VDJ.

Sorry, shoulda gave more info. Purpose of the voicemeeter is for streaming while in VR, the way i am streaming doesn't really work right out of vDJ itself via broadcasting. And yes i did try.

Videos themselves do show how both controllers work in different ways when in reality they should behave the same with this setup, because controller itself does only send and receive MIDI and nothing more (with this setup) all while audio itself is not the same (and that happens on the computer only), master knob does nothing, headphone mix and level does nothing with FLX10 as if the audio routing is broken with it when audio is being processed only on the computer (vDJ) in this case.
With a traditional default setup it works and master cue does what it suposed to do but any deviation from default setup (speakers and headphones hooked to FLX10) seems like is not possible at the moment which is weird, even more so when MIXXX works as expected 🤔

The whole flow is i get into VR put the HMD on and enable visual passthrough then i can see the controller itself and vDJ itself via screen overlays, audio routing is important since i use the VR headset headphones as cue/master preview on one voicemeeter track and the other one goes to OBS as live/master (OBS in my case combines visuals from magic music visualiser, webcam and audio)

A lil off-topic but audio routing in MIXXX with both controllers works identically, and in the way like vDJ works with numark mixtrack platinum fx, just tested it for sanity reasons, personally prefer vDJ over anything else tho 😅

100% sure vDJ audio routing misbehaves with FLX10... If any Devs could take a look at it or explain some stuff how vDJ works would be a lot appreciated...

P.S. i do have decent HW & SW understanding being a programmer, and it really does point toward vDJ being buggy/weird as soon as it sees FLX10 connected...

Posted yesterday @ 4:55 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
About MASTER and VU- Master on FLX10..
The default Mapping is having an action fake_master on in the ONINIT key. This makes the Master Vol knob of the controller to update the position on the Skin, but the MASTER VOL knob on the skin will not adjust the Master Volume. This is because the device is applying its own levels
If you are not using the FLX10 sound card as the Master Output (not sure why though), you can replace the above action with fake_master off. However, by doing this, if you use the FLX10 as Master Output, and try to adjust the Master Volume from skin while the MASTER VOL knob of the FLX10 is low, you wont get the level you expect.

My suggestion is to leave the default action of ONINIT and save/name this Mapping as "FLX10" and then use thefake_master off for another Mapping version and name it as "Focursite" and use it when the other sound card is used for Master.

For the VU meters, the device doesnt offer any Midi control , so VDJ has no way to show the activity on the device. The device itself is handling this IF the audio signal is sent to its Master Outs. If not (e.g. you use Master with a different sound card), the VU meters on the FLAX10 will show nothing.
In this case, you could add a 2nd Master Output in your Audio Setup and have both the FLX10 and your ext sound card to receive the Master Out Signal.

Posted yesterday @ 4:58 pm
djdad wrote :
The default Mapping is having an action fake_master on in the ONINIT key. This makes the Master Vol knob of the controller to indicate its position on the Skin, but the MASTER VOL knob on the skin will not adjust the Master Volume. This is because the device is applying its own levels
If you are not using the FLX10 sound card as the Master Output (not sure why though), you can replace the above action with fake_master off. However, by doing this, if you use the FLX10 as Master Output, and try to adjust the Master Volume from skin while the MASTER VOL knob of the FLX10 is low, you wont get the level you expect.

My suggestion is to leave the default action of ONINIT and save/name this Mapping as "FLX10" and then use thefake_master off for another Mapping version and name it as "Focursite" and use it when the other sound card is used for Master.

For the VU meters, the device doesnt offer any Midi control , so VDJ has no way to show the activity on the device. The device itself is handling this IF the audio signal is sent to its Master Outs. If not (e.g. you use Master with a different sound card), the VU meters on the FLAX10 will show nothing.
In this case, you could add a 2nd Master Output in your Audio Setup and have both the FLX10 and your ext sound card to receive the Master Out Signal.

Perfect master knob now behaves as i would expect it to behave, that only leaves the headphone mix & level knobs...

P.S. personally i can live without FLX10 VU meters on the controller itself since i monitor that on the vDJ itself most of the time while in VR.

EDIT: let me guess,
fake_hp on & fake_hpmix on
are for those and with off it'll work as i like it 🤔

Posted yesterday @ 5:04 pm
djdad wrote :
The default Mapping is having an action fake_master on in the ONINIT key. This makes the Master Vol knob of the controller to update the position on the Skin, but the MASTER VOL knob on the skin will not adjust the Master Volume. This is because the device is applying its own levels

OK, solved it, Maaaany thanks DJDAD in pointing me in the right direction!!!

when i set ONINIT to this
setting_setsession 'fxProcessing' 'Post-fader' & fake_master off & fake_hp off & fake_hpmix off

it works exactly the same as the other controller (Numark mixtrack platinum FX) as well as MIXXX and how i would expect it to work with only software based audio routing (no audio output from the DDJ-FLX10 unit itself). 💯

Had no idea about ONINIT & ONEXIT mappings

Settings being
Master level knob: fake_master
Headphone level knob: fake_hp
Headphone mix knob: fake_hpmix

this could be in FAQ for the controller tho, spent 2 days now to make it work like this 😅

Posted yesterday @ 5:15 pm